Our History

  Placard located at the original site of St. Martin’s in Sharpstown.

Placard located at the original site of St. Martin’s in Sharpstown.


  St. Martin’s in 1978 at the Sharpstown location.

St. Martin’s in 1978 at the Sharpstown location.

St. Martin’s started as a group of gathered believers led by the Holy Spirit to start a church in the Sharpstown area of Houston. The first members worshiped at Earthman Funeral Chapel and then in a member’s home. St. Martin’s was established in 1957 and we relocated to the current Sugar Land location in 2004.

As the only ELCA congregation in Sugar Land we feel passionate about sharing the Good News of God’s generous welcome to all people, inviting them into a way of life that involves worship, learning, service and community. We recently celebrated our 60th anniversary in 2017 and feel ever renewed to continue God’s mission.